Finding The Invisible Church

Monday, February 16, 2009

Before today, it had been a long time since I waited on the table at church. We moved several months ago and have just now settled on a church to attend regularly. Before that, we actually changed churches and then moved from Abilene just 6 months later. It wasn't until Jodi's uncle pulled me aside as we entered service today and asked me to help that I realized this fact. I actually got nervous, despite having performed this function dozens of times in various places. I think part of it is that I have never really paid much attention to the logistics of communion here, so I was afraid of getting up at the wrong time or committing some other crazy faux pas.

Mostly, though, I believe it was because I was thrilled to be put in a position of service once again. I majored in ministry, and it's been a frustration of mine that I have not been able to use my degree vocationally since. In many ways I have been fighting for the right to serve, and to be given without asking the opportunity to do what many consider a minor service humbled me in a somewhat ironic and incredibly beautiful way.

When the time came, I stood in the back of the "auditorium" (it's really more of a soundstage), trays in hand, waiting for my signal to walk down the aisle. We were watching a video from the Pioneer Bible Translators (one of our families is headed to Africa), and I was struck by a scene that showed two people from very different cultures sharing in the Lord's Supper. It reminded me of what those in the theology business like to call "The Invisible Church." This concept is actually somewhat controversial in Churches of Christ (but what isn't?), and what it means for our discussion is that whenever we take part in Communion, we do it with all believers across time and space. In my mind, that is what makes the traditions that we have so important. I was reminded that whether or not I am able to make ministry a vocation, I will always be able to serve. Perhaps more importantly, I will always be a part of The Invisible Church. I have spent a lot of time recently questioning myself, and this simple incident was the calm in the storm that I needed.


2 comments:

Lydia said...

yea for a blog, robert!! I'm so glad that you got the little thing you needed to be reminded of what you love and what inspires you. Isn't it funny how something so commonplace can do that sometimes?

I think you've inspired me to create a blog...

Rachel said...

Robert, it's good to see you in the blog world! I think I know what you mean. It's hard to live in a world where everyone around you is serving, sometimes even grudgingly...and for whatever reason you just can't seem to get anyone to let you do the same. I feel that way a lot. There's all these things that I know I can do, but I've got all these kids that I have to keep up with, and that really inhibits a lot of service-type projects. Good for you...I'm glad you found a little niche.

Oh, and go Lyd, go!!

Happiness For Blessing. 2008 One Winged Angel.Bloggerized by : GosuBlogger