Best Picture Review #5: Inglourious Basterds

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

At the end of Inglourious Basterds, one of the main characters looks at the screen and says, "This just might be my masterpiece." The implication, of course, is that the movie itself is Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece, an assertion that may actually be correct.

Tarantino's quirky fingerprints are all over IB, from the misspelled title (speculated to be accidental in this humorous post) to the film's complete (and obviously purposeful) lack of historical accuracy. These quirks are very off-putting to many, but as a QT apologist, I see the value in many of the oddball things he does. An example: In the very tense 21-minute opening scene, Colonel Hans Landa (superbly portrayed by Christoph Waltz, my pick for Best Actor) and Perrierr LaPadite are speaking in French (they are in France, after all) when Colonel Landa casually suggests that they switch to English. When watching it the first time, I inwardly groaned, thinking this was one of THOSE movies where the foreign characters speak English only so that American audiences won't complain about having to read subtitles. I should have known that this would end up being an important plot point, and it was. (Of course, it opens up a possible plot hole at the end; if you've seen the movie, think about the inserted scene in the theater.)

Overall, I think Tarantino uses his powers for good here. His over-the-top violent style actually seems quite perfect for the subject matter. Likewise, The double Mexican Standoff scene (another Tarantino trademark), while ridiculous, doesn't seem unnecessary and actually serves to move the plot along quite nicely while adding a layer of intrigue to the proceedings when the separate storylines start to intertwine.

This convergence of the seemingly very different stories is nothing short of masterful. The protagonists of each story never even meet, but they are kindred spirits in many ways. One, Shoshanna, is motivated by personal revenge, while the other, Lt. Aldo Raine, seems to be spurred on by a sense of justice (as well as a desire for scalps). Each faces significant obstacle to achieving their purpose, and while it may seem far-fetched that each has to go through Col. Landa to get there, the confrontations don't feel forced at all. In the end, both the effectiveness and futility of each character's actions are represented by the American Jews that stand on a balcony shooting at people who are dying in a theater fire anyway. In Tarantino's world, the final victory is both inevitable and completely dependent on the resolve of the major players. The resulting tension is profound.

I'm not sure that you could have planned for a greater irony than for this film to be nominated for a Best Picture Oscar. Holocaust and other World War II flicks are invariably highly favored by the Academy, and Inglourious Basterds is as close to a parody of the genre as you can get while remaining respectful. Even so, it never feels like a parody. It is indeed a masterpiece. 5/5


3 comments:

rkw said...

QT will not win this Oscar. I'm sure of it, or am I.... At any rate I'm surprised that any treatise of this flick doesn't include extensive discussion of Landa, for whom Christoph Waltz may very well win an Oscar. In my opinion this is the most terrifying character invented on screen since Hannibal Lecter. just after writing these first few sentences though I start to realize that your post is not a disection of the film, but a review. I'd do well to react to that a bit more than react to something that you aren't trying to do.

So on every point I agree with you. I will brag that when he switched to english I found it way to wierd to be american sympathy. QT was instrumental in bringing movies like Hero to US soil, so I knew he didn't have any qualms about using the subtitles. Maybe I had just noticed something truly daibolicle about Hanz Landa.

I did think that Krueger (Hammersmark) was doing quite a bit of overacting to keep up with the other talent around her, but it doesn't bring the film down.

I wouldn't have graded it any less than you either. Great flick, very horrifying, but well paced to let the audience breathe.

rkw said...

Misspelled weird....

Robert said...

Christoph Waltz's performance was excellent. I have edited the original post to at least make a passing mention to this.

To be honest, I don't like to dwell on criticism of any actor because I'm in way over my head on that front anyway, and I don't want to start evaluating the Best Picture winners solely on the strength of the acting performances. I care about these things, but I care more about how the story is told. There is no doubt that Waltz' ability allowed Tarantino to tell the story the way he wanted, and he is to be commended for that.

Happiness For Blessing. 2008 One Winged Angel.Bloggerized by : GosuBlogger